Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Put a Lid On It...It's For Your Own Good

So I was sitting on the commode(funny word for toilet) the other day and I remembered the whole "poop cloud" thing I heard a while ago and never thought it was true.  After some research, I learned that the "poop cloud" is actually called the "aerosol effect" which is the result of flushing ones toilet causing a mushroom cloud of toilet disasters(poop and other bad things) to fly all over the room.







In these two videos you can see what the aerosol effect is.  Also, you can see a possible solution to the problem with a toilet seat called the PUREFLUSH.  So, after finding all of this I looked at my current bathroom in Westmoreland Hall and got a little angry.
My Bathroom: Covered in micro-Poop everywhere


There are many things wrong with this picture. Here are the big ones I noticed. They are:
1.) There's no toilet lid for the seat
2.) The toothbrush holder is within arms reach of the toilet
3.) There's a shelf ABOVE the toilet


If you're using the toothbrush holder mounted to the wall in you room then it's VERY likely that you're brushing your teeth with a poop covered toothbrush.  Sorry, I had to bring it up.  You can't cover the toilet because THERE'S NO LID to keep the mushroom cloud from happening. YUCK!  I also have to mention how strong these toilets flush.

They could suck a bowling ball along with your waste left from a Chipotle trip with no problem(don't get the hot sauce...it's bad news).  I've flushed the toilet and felt water splash onto my feet on many occasions. YEA...real nice. Want another example? My bathroom-mate drinks a lot of protein shakes and he usually has a liquid poo a few times a week.  When he flushes, liquid poop and God knows what else sprays up and gets all over the bottom of the seat...which is a really nice thing to find whenever I lift my toilet seat up.  I hate to make a big deal out of something so minuscule but I can't pinch this one off and flush it away.


What do I want? A lid for shits' sake! And it's not even for the poop and bacteria that is being spread, it's so I can be sure nothing falls into the toilet that my roommate and I have on that shelf.  Not to mention it's a wire shelf so things can slip right through if they're the right size.

I wouldn't be so angry if no one had a lid for their toilet, but some people do.  The Villages and Courts both have a lid for their toilet seats, and both represent the best and worst places to live on campus(more on that later).  Westmoreland Hall was built AFTER the Villages were, so why the F@ck don't we have lids? Was it a cost issue?  It only makes sense to put lids on toilets just to be cleaner and ensure that only the things the belong in the toilet go into them.  Robert Shaw and College hall has a different kind of toilet situation so I get why they don't need a lid, but we definitely do. WTF UPG?

What do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. As the mother of small children, I'm used to all things bathroom related. Still. It's really hard to see the usefulness of your anger here, C.J. And the humor gets lost in -- o.k., pun here -- the bile. The blog still feels like it's struggling to be something thoughtful. Like it's struggling to figure out not only what its purpose is, but who it's audience is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my plan is/was to possibly get lids for toilet seats in my building. That, or at least met some opinions. The lids are a small thing that might stop me from dropping my phone in the toilet and help stop the spreading of some illnesses in certain dorm rooms.

    To me, small things like this can get overlooked because they're not seen as "a big deal" to anyone, but it's just the pricipal of the thing. For as much money as we pay for a dorm, we should get a lid for our seats like others do.(I hate to say that whole money thing but it's true)

    Not to mention, a shelf over a toilet with no lid just doesn't make any sense to me.

    I'm trying to make everything on my blog relevant to all college students. I also think covering some events on campus and other UPG, or Pittburgh, related things that all college students could possible relate to.

    I'm not sure if I'm actually doing that or if I'm failing miserably. Should I be focusing on something else entirely? Blogging is weird...but fun.

    Thanks for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tone of this blog post is very different than your others... It's almost like I sense undirected anger in this post.

    By the way, perhaps your issue with the lack of toilet lids is something you should take to RSC. By the way, this is the first time in my nine years of reslife I've ever heard of anyone upset at the lack of a toilet lid. Sorta makes me laugh a little; but I get your point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading and commenting, Brian.

    Yes, there is some anger in this post and it wasn't very subtle. My anger does have a direction but you made a good point, I didn't call for an action to occur. I think I'll bring this up to a RSC rep for Westmoreland later this week.


    By the way, Brian, I was wondering what you thought about all of this? You said you get my point, but do you think it's a good one?

    ReplyDelete