Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Forget Ramen Noodles and Buy a BOAT!

College students eating Ramen Noodles is nothing new, but there's a cheaper and healthier alternative that I bet most of you just laugh at.  The alternative? Why it's the Pasta Boat, of course!
 
 
The Pasta Boat looks like another POS you see on late night infomercials that prey of the fat and the restless.  If you don't live in the Academic Villages or the University Courts then a stove top is not available and cooking your own pasta is out of the question, or at least it was. I saw ads for this thing and it had my interest, but I was skepticall.  I finally decided to buy one when I saw it at Walmart for $10 and I was really surprised by it. IT WORKS!!!

The P.B. allows you to make up to five pounds of pasta at one time and that's crazy considering one pound can feed a family of four!  It takes under 20 minutes to make any amount of pasta and it takes a little while to learn how long it takes to make some pastas cook thoroughly.  Pasta sells for about $1 a pound and jars of sauces can cost you up to $6 at the most, which will last a while.  Pretty cheap, eh?

Personally, I fucking HATE Ramen Noodles.  Please don't tape me to a flag pole until I can explain.  Ramen Noodles have over 860mg of sodium which is terrible considering that's all from just one little cup or packet.  Nutritionally, these noodles are terrible for your health and the servings are pretty small.  Sure, they cost about $1 a piece but so what?  That doesn't make something "good."  Plus, I hate seeing those faded green pees hat are all weird and wrinkled in addition to the other odd colored vegetables. You can make your own pasta without all of the preservatives and it can actually be cheaper.  So the next time you want Ramen Noodles, remember that there is an alternative to our noodle needs that is just as cheap, and it's better for you.

Screw you, Freshmen Fifteen!

Here are Ramen Nutritional Facts

2 comments:

  1. Ramen noodles are evil but at least they don't pretend to be healthy. That doesn't change the fact that they are arguably not food.

    Glad you got yourself a pasta boat - I couldn't imagine not having a stove or oven. I love the measuring handles - who needs to measure their own pasta when you can just stick a handful in the handle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could do a series of posts about food you can make when you're a college student, oven-less, fire-less? Could be a challenge -- and a fun way to help your blog find a more direct focus.

    ReplyDelete